Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Indonesian Style 'Fried' Rice (VEGAN, NO OIL)



Today I have a very special recipe for you guys!

I'm going to share one of my all-time FAVOURITE rice dishes ever! Which is 'fried' rice! But my fried rice dishes have NO OIL added (which is super awesome for high carb low fat vegans, or anyone really). Now, there are a lot of fried rice 'styles' out there, Chinese style (more savoury, garlic-cky), Japanese style (teriyaki sauce most of the time), and Indonesian style which is very popular (sweet, usually spicy but that's optional!). So! The first fried rice recipe that I'm going to share here is going to be the Indonesian style one! ;)



I used tempeh, broccoli, and mushrooms today but you can use anything that you want (leftover veggies work really well!). Though you should use tempeh for a more authentic Indonesian taste though! Either way works, because what makes this special is the SAUCE!



In Indonesia, people just use bottled kecap manis (translate: sweet sauce), which is a thick black sauce made from 'black soybeans' and sweetened with coconut palm sugar! But I know that it's hard to find overseas, so I made a sauce similar to the real bottled one (healthier too I think!) so everyone can try it!




Recipe

  • 3 c cooked rice (I used white rice this time but you can use any rice that you prefer)\
  • 2 c chopped vegetables (I used broccoli & mushrooms)
  • 1 c diced tempeh chunks (you can use beans/tofu instead if you prefer)
  • 1/4 c coconut palm sugar (don't use other sweeteners as it will taste different)
  • 1/4 c soy sauce/tamari/low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp sriracha or other spicy sauce (optional, but highly recommended)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional, but highly recommended)
  • salt, pepper, to taste (optional)

Method

  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, put in your chopped vegetables & diced tempeh and boil until tender when pierced with a fork (about 3-5 minutes). Drain the vegetables (but leave some moisture in them to help cooking process later), dump it all into a large non-stick frying pan.
  2. Add in the cooked rice to the pan, stir everything together until mixed.
  3. Mix together the soy sauce, coconut sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and spicy sauce.
  4. Turn on the heat (medium-high), pour the sauce into the frying pan, stir fry until everything is heated through, coated with the seasoning, and some moisture has evaporated. Taste a bit, add more coconut sugar if you want it to be sweeter, add more spicy sauce if you want it spicier, etc.
  5. Pour into a big bowl, Enjoy!!! 





3 comments:

  1. Do u eat this as one serving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I do :) I'm a high carb vegan (this lifestyle works best with at least 2500 cal a day). But you can make this and share with your family/friends or save it for later! Up to you ;)

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I stumbled onto this while looking for new rice recipes. I make a very similar dish except it's a plate lunch instead of a bowl I slice the tempeh into "filets" that I marinate in kecap manis and then bake. Then I'll reheat some day old brown rice with mixed veggies, sprouts, kecap manis, sambal oelek and a couple dashes of rice vinegar.

    ReplyDelete